Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Conceit v. Confidence

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes engages coaches and athletes to grow in their faith and sport.

Get In Touch

Conceit v. Confidence

 aWe must not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. ~ Galatians 5:26

From Dictionary.com...

Conceit - excessively favorable opinion of one's own ability or importance.  Arrogance, cockiness.  Exaggerated, distorted view of self which leads to self-centeredness, delusion, and a sense of superiority.  When a conceit takes hold and one's achievements do not match one's assessment of one's abilities, envy and blame spring up and disunity results.

Confidence  - full trust; belief in the powers, trustworthiness, or reliability of a person or thing. Courage, trust, boldness – producing freedom. Accurate view of self.

Fainthearted - lacking courage, boldness, or conviction. Timorous, fearful, cowardly.

Accurate Self-view - confidence

Inaccurate Self-view - conceit, cockiness, fainthearted, fearful

No one enjoys being around a cocky person who has an inflated view of self.  However, there is often an over correction and an individual will practice self put downs.  Thesis, antithesis - neither are the answer.  In between conceit and fainthearted is confidence.  This is simply an accurate self view.  It is belief based on past success.  No one would call a person cocky for stating that he could recite the alphabet perfectly without missing a letter or for proclaiming that he could walk across the room without falling down. Nor would it raise an eyebrow for a chef to say he can make a great omelet.  Likewise, for a competitor to believe and even state that they can do a certain skill well is simply confidence.  The competitor should be no more apprehensive of stating that she is a good free throw shooter if she is. It does not mean the person will not mess up the alphabet or fall while walking or mess up an omelet or miss a free throw.  But past success gives confidence for future success.

Christians are often the biggest violators of self put downs.  Because I don't want to be prideful, I overcorrect and belittle myself.  However, humility is not thinking less of myself, it is thinking of myself less.  Ultimately, the Christian competitor can be supremely confident because his/her confidence lies in Christ not in self.

25 comments (Add your own)

1. AleSyythaa wrote:
A rolling stone is worth two in the bush, thanks to this aricelt.

Sat, September 13, 2014 @ 5:59 AM

2. wrote:
Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Many thanks,
However I am having difficulties with your RSS. I don't understand the reason why I can't join it.
Is there anybody having similar RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
Thanks!!

Sat, May 4, 2019 @ 2:09 PM

3. wrote:
We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your site provided us with valuable info to
work on. You've done an impressive job and our whole community will be
grateful to you.

Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 1:06 AM

4. wrote:
It's perfect time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy.

I've learn this put up and if I could I want to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or advice.
Maybe you could write subsequent articles regarding this article.
I want to learn even more issues approximately it!

Mon, June 10, 2019 @ 6:19 AM

5. wrote:
Heya! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look
forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

Mon, June 17, 2019 @ 6:26 PM

6. wrote:
I'm really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like
this one today.

Fri, June 28, 2019 @ 10:59 PM

7. wrote:
Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it
or something. I think that you could do with some pics
to drive the message home a bit, but instead
of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I'll definitely be back.

Mon, July 1, 2019 @ 10:00 AM

8. wrote:
Hey there! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of
the post I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking
back often!

Tue, July 16, 2019 @ 11:32 PM

9. wrote:
Hi, constantly i used to check webpage posts here early in the morning, as
i enjoy to gain knowledge of more and more.

Wed, July 17, 2019 @ 7:12 PM

10. wrote:
I every time emailed this weblog post page to all my
contacts, since if like to read it then my contacts will too.

Thu, July 18, 2019 @ 8:22 AM

11. wrote:
These are actually fantastic ideas in regarding blogging.

You have touched some pleasant factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Fri, July 19, 2019 @ 9:32 AM

12. wrote:
Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this amazing site needs far more attention. I'll
probably be returning to read more, thanks for
the information!

Wed, July 24, 2019 @ 3:02 AM

13. wrote:
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
as though you relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre
talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting
videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening
to read?

Mon, October 14, 2019 @ 4:18 AM

14. wrote:
Hello! I've been following your web site for a long time now and finally
got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out
from Kingwood Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent work!

Wed, October 16, 2019 @ 9:09 AM

15. wrote:
You are so cool! I do not believe I have read
something like this before. So great to discover someone with some unique thoughts on this topic.
Really.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that's needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

Wed, October 16, 2019 @ 5:56 PM

16. wrote:
Good day I am so thrilled I found your blog page, I really found you by
accident, while I was looking on Bing for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just
like to say thank you for a remarkable post and a all
round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but
I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read a great
deal more, Please do keep up the superb job.

Thu, October 17, 2019 @ 2:31 AM

17. wrote:
Hi there, for all time i used to check web site posts here early in the daylight, for the reason that i enjoy to gain knowledge of
more and more.

Thu, October 17, 2019 @ 3:04 AM

18. wrote:
Genuinely when someone doesn't know afterward its
up to other visitors that they will help,
so here it happens.

Thu, October 17, 2019 @ 3:48 AM

19. wrote:
I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but
your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come
back later. Many thanks

Thu, October 17, 2019 @ 7:20 AM

20. wrote:
Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would
be ok. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

Fri, October 18, 2019 @ 2:06 PM

21. wrote:
Every weekend i used to go to see this site, for the reason that i
want enjoyment, since this this site conations truly pleasant funny data too.

Sun, October 20, 2019 @ 10:18 AM

22. wrote:
Hi theгe! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance frоm an established blߋg.
Ӏs it very difficxult to sset up оur own blog? I'm
not verey techincal but I can figure thongs out pretty fast.
I'm thinking aƅout crеаting my own butt I'm not sure where to
start. Dߋ you hаve any ideas orr suggestions? Appreciate it

Mon, October 21, 2019 @ 12:07 PM

23. wrote:
Wonderful post! We will be linking to this particularly great post
on our website. Keep up the good writing.

Tue, October 22, 2019 @ 8:07 AM

24. wrote:
I do not know whether it's just me or if perhaps
everyone else experiencing problems with your site. It appears like some of
the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me
know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a problem with my
internet browser because I've had this happen before. Many thanks

Wed, October 23, 2019 @ 2:19 AM

25. wrote:
Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this site
before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Anyways, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

Wed, October 23, 2019 @ 3:43 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.